We all know about popular active skincare ingredients which, when we first heard about them, felt like strange-sounding names. Think back, for example, to when you first heard about hyaluronic acid (HA), alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), retinol (a Vitamin A derivative), beta-hydroxy acids (BHAs), or even niacinamide (C6H6N2). They’ve become such commonplace references in skincare, you probably don’t bat an eyelid when you hear about them today.
Yet, hypochlorous acid – or HOCl, when referring to its molecular formula – is still relatively unknown. At Thoclor Labs, we prefer referring to it as ‘The Miracle Molecule’. Not only because of its almost miraculous-like benefits for all skin types and an array of skin issues. But also because it is the human body’s own immune molecule.
Formed by our white blood cells, hypochlorous acid is used by the body to fight inflammation, infection and disease. It is regarded as the most important building block upon which our body’s overall immunity and health is built.
One of its functions includes maintaining skin health, but also slowing down the ageing process of the skin. By harnessing the body’s own wisdom and science, it mimics the essence of human healing by supporting the skin’s own defence system and its natural renewal process.
Hypochlorous acid has been used in the medical industry since it was discovered more than a century ago by a chemist. During World War I it became popular amongst medics to treat field wounds. Since then it has been used as a general disinfectant and for wound care in various medical settings.
However, to be able to use it in topical solutions suitable for skincare requires an exact science. By definition, the HOCl molecule will always be pure. But the liquid solutions that hold it are often not because they naturally contain contaminants. When this happens, the amazing healing power of HOCl is compromised due to the toxic nature of these contaminants. Our research showed that the most common manufacturing methods result in impure solutions, which greatly hinder the impact and stability of this miracle molecule.
At Thoclor Labs we’re essentially inventors. So we challenged ourselves. We set out to find a way to harness the healing benefits of the HOCl molecule, and make its almost-miraculous effects accessible to anyone looking for a simple skincare solution that truly works and delivers on its promises. The result is that our own proprietary manufacturing process ensures that our GF Skin Series contains only HOCl and pharmaceutical-grade water (in other words, containing absolutely zero additives, contaminants, or toxins) which is ideal for use on the skin.
This allows us to confidently claim that the medical-grade formulation we use in our GF Skin Series to deliver the benefits of hypochlorous acid to your skin, offers the purest, most stable and highest quality available anywhere in the world. You can be assured of a 100% all-natural formula that supports your skin’s overall wellness in the face of harmful environmental assaults, post-procedure care, irritations, sensitivities and inflammation.
Now that you understand what hypochlorous acid (HOCl) is and why it is so significant as an active ingredient in our GF Skin Series range, let’s delve deeper into all the good-for-you benefits this Miracle Molecule holds.
- Hypochlorous acid is produced in the body as a naturally occurring compound by our white blood cells. It is an essential part of our innate immune system and an integral part of our body’s immune response.
- Within the body, HOCl works to break down cells that are creating infection or inflammation by destroying the harmful cell’s membrane and its DNA. In that way, it halts the replication or growth process of those harmful cells.
- Outside the body, HOCl also kills dangerous micro-organisms making it equally effective against bacteria, viruses and fungi.
- Because of its natural origin within the body’s immune system, HOCl is suitable for all skin types, as well as sensitive skin or skin affected by very specific or chronic skin conditions.
- Once you start using it, it can help reduce blemishes, treat acne, soothe eczema, reverse markers of epidermal ageing, protect against environmental toxins, reduce the formation of future scarring, fight bacteria and cleanse the skin.
- It helps to combat pathogens and destroy infectious agents on the skin without harming or interfering with the skin’s protective microbiome.
- It aids in treating and preventing dermatitis (‘maskne’) caused by the continuous wearing of masks.
- Our hypochlorous acid formulations soothe and support the skin’s natural defences against irritation, inflammation and post-procedural sensitivities. All of this while also targeting signs of ageing, wrinkles, blemishes and hyperpigmentation.
So we have now explained what hypochlorous acid (HOCl) is and why this relatively unknown active ingredient deserves more attention. We have also looked at some of the general benefits of HOCl. Below explores more of its specific benefits to the skin:
- When manufactured correctly and under medical-grade conditions, HOCl is exceptionally stable as an active ingredient. This in turn simplifies and amplifies its delivery to all the layers of the skin, thereby ensuring maximum benefits.
- The quality of product formulation is important because the optimal functioning of HOCl also depends on the correct pH. Our GF Skin series guarantees a pH of 5.6 which is the perfect level to maintain the skin’s health and protect its microbiome.
- Hypochlorous acid is highly anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal. It is also an excellent anti-inflammatory with immune-modulatory effects, which accounts for HOCl’s ability to treat chronic or inflammatory skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, eczema, atopic dermatitis and seborrheic dermatitis (characterises by the body’s immune system attaching the skin).
- The GF1 range in our GF Skin Series is used by dermatologists and skincare practitioners to not only prepare the skin before a treatment, but also boost the skin’s ability to repair itself after aesthetic and dermatologic procedures. It’s anti-inflammatory properties are great to assist the skin with any post-operative healing.
- Our hypochlorous acid formulation soothes and supports skin’s natural defences against irritation, inflammation and post-procedural sensitivities, all while targeting signs of ageing and inflammation of the skin.
By now you should start understanding why the GF Skin Series isn’t merely another beauty product – this is your skin’s own healing science captured in a facial mist.
As a proudly South African biotechnology firm, Thoclor Labs’ GF Skin Series comes with a promise that all our products are completely natural, organic, vegan, hypoallergenic, alcohol-free, preservative free, and always cruelty-free. We are passionate about blending the power of science with the miracles of nature to transform the appearance, health and functioning of your skin completely naturally.