As if we don’t have enough to deal with during the COVID-19 pandemic, there’s now a new word added to the urban dictionary: maskne. That’s right, it’s when you suddenly start getting acne from the friction and sweating caused by wearing a face mask all day. Whether you’re back at work, starting school, or a healthcare worker wearing a mask for hours on end (we salute you!), this is not great news for your skin.
Since face masks are not going to go away anytime soon, let’s look at ways to protect your skin and fight these pesky breakouts.
What causes mask acne?
Well, the clue is in the name – it’s caused by wearing a mask for long periods of time. Specifically, the mask is creating a barrier across the face to keep The Virus out but this then also traps bacteria and humidity inside. The fabric rubbing against your skin can cause friction and irritation. As sweat, dirt and the oils in your make-up get into your mask, it’s basically a breeding ground for breakout-causing bacteria.
You’ll typically notice telltale white bumps where the mask is in close contact with your skin, such as the bridge of your nose, your cheeks and along the chinstrap.
How to care for your skin
Here at Thoclor Labs, we always recommend a good skincare routine and healthy diet to keep skin healthy, but here are a few more tips to try:
- Skip the make-up: Use this time to give your skin time to breathe, or only highlight your eyes with a bit of mascara.
- Go easy on skincare products: Less is more during this time – don’t overload your skin with too many creams and oils. Like make-up, this may only contribute to the blocking of your oil glands and becoming a growth medium for bacteria.
- Change and clean your mask often: If you’re wearing a reusable mask, make sure you wash it or sanitise it after each use.
- Cleanse skin twice a day: It’s best to cleanse skin as soon as you take off your mask, using a gentle soap-free liquid cleanser.
- Control inflammation with Thoclor Labs GF2 Skin Rejuvenation spray: After cleaning and drying your skin (either air drying or with a clean towel), spray Thoclor Labs GF2 Skin Rejuvenation onto the whole face and allow it to dry naturally and absorb fully into the skin. GF2 Skin Rejuvenation contains hypochlorous acid, a natural substance with powerful anti-bacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Spritz GF2 regularly throughout the day: The hypochlorous acid in the product has powerful disinfectant properties that have been proven to be 80 – 100 times more effective against viruses than the bleach chlorine you find in hand sanitisers. It’s completely safe to use on kids and adults, so you can spray it on your face (even in your eyes and mouth) and inside and outside your mask to kill any harmful germs that may be clinging to the fabric.
Recent studies done in the USA on GF2 has shown that it completely eradicates the human coronavirus in less than two minutes.
Healing skin from the inside out
Hypochlorous acid is the body’s own immune molecule that is normally formed inside the white blood cells to fight infection and control inflammation. Thoclor Labs has perfected a pure HOCl immune solution, as found in our GF2 Rejuvenation spray, offering amazing results when used on acne-prone skin.
In fact, it helps to completely reverse acne by destroying germs such as the P.acnes bacteria that causes acne. It reboots the skin’s normal function, normalising oil secretion and reducing the thickness of the dead cell layer on the skin’s surface that causes the blockage of the oil glands. While your skin is ‘reset’, the formulation also calms down any inflammation, redness and pain. Read more about how acne is formed here.
So, whether you suddenly start getting ‘maskne’ now or have always struggled with breakouts, rest assured we’ve got your back! Apart from the control of inflammation, GF2 also will cause true skin rejuvenation (the reversal of the ageing process) to occur.
We want to say a big THANK YOU to all the essential services workers who are out there every day working on the front-line.
To help all of you to fight the coronavirus and push back against acne we are offering 20% off every bottle of GF2 bought via our website until the 5th of July 2020. This includes free delivery. Use the promo code (or coupon code) ‘maskne’ at checkout when you buy GF2 Skin Rejuvenation.
We are also contributing 10% of the sale price of GF2 sold online during lockdown to Food Forward SA so you will also be helping us to help feed those in need.